• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Woman Leaves Dog In Car, Dog Crashes Car Into Supermarket

Main Menu

XBox One or Playstation 4?

Started by Undergrid, September 01, 2014, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undergrid

I know some of us were talking about getting one of the next-gen consoles when the prices came down a bit, so now that they have, has anyone actually bought one?  Which would/did you choose, the XBox One or the PS4, and why?
QuoteIn the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in the proper order then why can't he?

Arathrael

If I get one, it'll be at Christmas, and I'm waiting to see what the games/features/price situation looks like then.

I think Paul and Bazza are our resident next-gen console experts right now, so we'll wait for them to chime in. :)
Cave Cricetum! :hammering:

RichardWhitely

Looks at PS4 and xbox one gathering dust...

Yeah, expert... sure.

Apparently the ps4 is slightly more powerful due to the xbox one having overheads with kinect and other gubbins. Although that margin is slightly less reduced now that kinect is no longer mandatory. All I used the xbox one for is Forza 5 and the girlie played Ryse on, which she liked a lot. Although Ryse is going to be released on the PC, so we are back to the xbox one being the Forza and Halo box. Forza Horizon 2 is out soon btw on xbox one and 360 (lol).

On the PS4 side we got a butt load of remakes of old games. Like The Last of Us and Diablo 3 (which is also on xbox one, the xbox one has got a lot of remakes to be fair). And also GTA 5 (also on PC and xbox one). Plus a butt load of multi format titles taking us in the run up to santa time like the crew, assassins creed and other stuff.

This generation there might be not a lot to choose from between the two consoles and it might be down to personal preferences, for example. I really like the PS4 controller, its much more comfortable in my hands than the xbox one controller and even though the PS4 controller has short-ish battery life due to the stupid light bar that is solved by using a cheap usb cable (the xbox one controller still uses 2xAA batteries or a battery pack, it does have a longer battery life due to the fact it has no silly lights on it).

You can't even pull the old plus point of multiplayer being free on playstation as you now need PS+ to play online with the ps4 - however it still gives you free games every month and a much better selection of free games than microsoft ever had.

So there are downsides and upsides to both, and my advice? Look at upcoming releases on both and get whatever fits your pocket best and has the games you want to play.

http://www.mcvuk.com/retail-biz/release-dates
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

Undergrid

None of the exclusives currently released or due for release really sway me one way or the other tbh, many of the games I'm interested in are scheduled for both and as I understand it, the PS4 seems to generally have higher resolution support for most games.

How is the upselling on the PS4 home screen?  From my experience of the new 360 home screen, everything you own is squirled away in to one or two small boxes in each category and the rest of the screen is full of upselling (Buy this game! buy this DLC! buy this movie! etc).  Is the PS4 similar?
QuoteIn the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in the proper order then why can't he?

RichardWhitely

In a word

No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkRIUxGFsSU

Its a very clean UI. You have a whats new box that lists what your friends have been up to on the playstation network, then a list of your recently played games, then the store, my library etc...

Compare with xbox one UI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrs8tgdVlgM (I couldn't find an xbox one ui video without someone yakking over it :( )
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

Undergrid

I've actually ordered a PS4, but I'm curious about how both consoles handle this one:  If you buy a game on disk and install it, do you still have to have the disk in the machine to play it?

RichardWhitely

Yes both of them still require a disc in the machine
I play games on a:

BigBazza

Quote from: Undergrid on September 03, 2014, 12:45:03 AM
I've actually ordered a PS4, but I'm curious about how both consoles handle this one:  If you buy a game on disk and install it, do you still have to have the disk in the machine to play it?

That was going to happen on the Xbox One but the internet went into a big sulk about it and so Microsoft changed their mind.

I must admit my PS4 is just a lovely dust magnet at the moment. I enjoyed Infamous Second son on it but it was a step back from Infamous 2 in everything apart from the graphics. I've nothing coming up soon that makes me want to play the thing (might get fifa and the new WWE game) everything that looks good that is also coming out on pc I'll get on pc, mainly cos it'll look nicer, and mouse and keyboard rules all.

I was tempted to get an Xbone for Dead Rising 3 but are glad I held off 'cos I've got that on pc now :D 

JohnnyFind

I've come to the conclusion that consoles are only good for driving and fighting games now...

Having this ulrika moment has saved me loads of money  :P

Still I'm happy with the Wii U I got for my kids, it has some unique game that are just not available anywhere else.

Even at this grand old age, even I'm still a fan of Mario & Zelda franchises.

Talking of which; Zelda on the 3DS is bloody brilliant  :cop:

Calibrax

I haven't upgraded from Xbox 360 yet. No point, there aren't any really good new titles, I'm currently playing Destiny which is great, and it would probably would look even better on the XboxOne but I'm not going to fork out a huge amount just for slightly shiner graphics. When they release a huge game on XboxOne and don't release it on the 360, then I'll consider an upgrade. Maybe. :)