• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Salford Man Distraught After Passport Photo Makes Him Look Like Hitler

Main Menu

City of Heroes enters sunset closes November 30th 2012

Started by Lot, September 04, 2012, 12:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lot

Sad news for City of Heroes fans! I had re-subbed three months before hand and was having a good time playing again. With the incarnate stuff there was plenty of stuff to do at the endgame for L50s. The forums have been talking about the chances of a buyout but knowing NCSoft it may be very unlikely but who knows.

Posted September 31st 2012:

QuoteThis morning we announced that Paragon Studios will be taking to the skies of City of Heroes for the last time.

In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios. Effective immediately, all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world's first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year. As part of this, all recurring subscription billing and Paragon Market purchasing will be discontinued effective immediately. We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.

The team here at Paragon deserves special praise for all that we have accomplished over the last 5+ years. These developers are some of the most creative and talented people in the gaming industry. By now, we've all been given this news internally, but to anyone who may be reading this message after the fact; know that your hard work and dedication has not gone unappreciated or unnoticed. To any potential studios looking to grow your team; hire these people. You won't regret it.

To our Community,

Thank you. Thank you for your years of support. You've been with us every step of the way, sharing in our challenges, encouraging us to make City of Heroes better, more than everyone else thought it could be. We couldn't have come this far without you. I implore you all, focus on the good things of CoH and Paragon Studios. Don't dwell on the "how" or the "why", but rather join us in celebrating the legacy of an amazing partnership between the players and the development team.

Thank you, and I'll see you in the skies, one last time.

Andy Belford
Community Manager
Paragon Studios.

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=295621

Arathrael

Yeah, I hadn't played it in a while but was planning to pick it up again, since a fair bit of stuff has been added since I last played. Then this. Annoying.

The inevitable 'Save CoH' campaign appears to be getting some traction though. Of course there's the usual big forum thread, plus an obligatory petition (can't hurt to sign it), and online demonstrations getting coverage in the gaming media.

Of course, these things usually don't work, and the impression I get from the dev end is one of doom, so I wouldn't hold out much hope. Still, you never know.
Cave Cricetum! :hammering:

|fury|

shame. always enjoyed coh, just couldn't justify the sub when i was hardly ever able to get on (and that was before noah arrived)

Lot

Of course it was posted August 31st 2012, not September 31st 2012.

I was really saddened when the announcement came through. I was online at the time and the general feeling was one of disbelief as the game was doing pretty well. And then Defiant turned into a ghost town overnight most of the regulars that I knew quit playing. I have not logged in again to the game since the weekend that followed.

There are some in the community that retain hope of saving COH but I think that is very unlikely but who knows.

But good for them though as at least is shows some spirit.