• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Brits Warned Of Seagulls Across The UK 'Tripping On Acid'

Main Menu

Star trek online making your card sound like a hoover?

Started by RichardWhitely, January 23, 2010, 10:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardWhitely

Unfortunately Star Trek Online has a big bug. A very big bug that is killing peoples graphics cards. Currently on some cards the game tries to push through as many frames as possible, this takes the card close to 100% usage while the game is running, extended periods running at this (if the case has poor ventilation) is very, very bad! :panic:

So here is how you fix it :orly: Ja rly!

If you havent manually set your FPS with /maxfps command; then you are redlining your card without even knowing it. Apparently STO has a huge bug where it sets your GPU to try and attempt an infinite framerate which bottoms it out. Even if you arent running hot you are still doing damage since its redlined. To fix this serious problem log into the game and type /maxfps if it comes up 0.000000 then you have been running redline for days most likely. Just type /maxfps(space)# between 30-60 for fps. Then type just /maxfps to make sure it took.

The /showfps command may still show zero but thats bugged so dont pay attention to it. After you set your maxfps you should notice markably increased performance, less heat if you were running crazy hot like me, and the ability to set more stuff to max if you were unable to before.

LAST TIP VERY IMPORTANT. Dont forget that every time you log in you must set your fps again or it will go back to 0.00000. HOWEVER you can use the Launcher for that. Click on Options on the main launcher window and in Advanced command line field you input:

-maxfps #

(replace hash with number of frames you want)

and you are done for every login :D. Also setting vsync in the graphics options doesnt seem to help as the game engine is still pushing through as many frames as possible.
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

SCoob [NL]

I'm used of "Nvidia" commercials while the game starts, but killing the cards is new to me.
After you complained they will prob give you a discount for ATI cards  :?

Undergrid

I was under the impression that most games ran as fast as they could on any given hardware config, if your video card is failing when running flat out, theres something wrong either with the card or your rig.
QuoteIn the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in the proper order then why can't he?

|fury|

my card seems to sound ok, the fan isn't winding up or anything

rover

mine wasnt jon but the bug was still doing its thing