Author Topic: HL2, Steam, SP  (Read 3122 times)

|fury|

• Administrator
  • Major
HL2, Steam, SP
« on: November 17, 2004, 08:39:33 AM »
So... what's this about having to be connected to the net to play the game in SP?

Not neccessarily a problem for me, but the bloke who sits next to me at work has ordered it for his kids and he's on 56k :roll:

Trivulator

HL2, Steam, SP
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 08:47:45 AM »
You don't need to be connected while playing I think, just need ones for unlocking your files.

|fury|

• Administrator
  • Major
HL2, Steam, SP
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 08:55:23 AM »
I've read different on AG - There were reports of users unlocking the game, then coming back to play later on and being unable to due to the game needing to be logged into steam, and steam being broken..

Trivulator

HL2, Steam, SP
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 10:43:37 AM »
Maybe it's a good idea for testing it than :-)

RichardWhitely

• Ba-da, ba-da, ba-da-da-da: booooooooooo!
  • Administrator
  • Major
HL2, Steam, SP
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 10:56:54 AM »
You must always be logged into steam to play half life 2 :(
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

Spyke

• Corporal
    • {FragFest}East
HL2, Steam, SP
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 01:37:35 PM »
Even after reading all of the information that I could about this game, I still can't believe that they want you to be connected to play. :scratch:
It's either that or go through some ridiculously complicated setup procedure...well it's not that complicated, but you know what I mean.

WTF?

I just want to play the game that I have been waiting years for on Single Player. Why in the f*** would I want/need to be connected to play it that way?

Yes, I am upset.

Fury, thanks for that link that you posted.

Why would they do this? Is it because people are ripping games off by downloading them? In that vein, why would I even consider going out to purchase a game that I cannot possibly play even in SP if I need an internet connection?
If I'm downloading games, I can't play them online because I don't have a valid CD Key.

If I want to play said game online then I am forced to go out and buy it.

Now I have no incentive at all to buy it because I can't play the friggin' thing anyways..

(Note: "I" meaning average Joe not me personally)

/rant over

|fury|

• Administrator
  • Major
HL2, Steam, SP
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 01:43:38 PM »
It probably has an awful lot to do with counterstrike..

Spyke

• Corporal
    • {FragFest}East
HL2, Steam, SP
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 06:06:54 PM »
Can you explain that?

I never really got into CounterStrike that much so I don't know what you mean. :smile:

Trivulator

HL2, Steam, SP
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 11:14:06 AM »
You wont have to be connected, only for unlocking files, after that you just RUN steam in OFFLINE mode and it works fine.
We had a major internet failure in holland for a couple of hours and I managed to play in OFFLINE mode so :-)

RichardWhitely

• Ba-da, ba-da, ba-da-da-da: booooooooooo!
  • Administrator
  • Major
HL2, Steam, SP
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 12:47:45 PM »
Had to disable my LAN card to get offline mode working in the end  :roll:
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS