• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Salford Man Distraught After Passport Photo Makes Him Look Like Hitler

Main Menu

Doom 3

Started by RichardWhitely, August 02, 2004, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardWhitely

The following picture sums up my experience of Doom 3

I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

Tricky

You know why don't you?

BigBazza

Doom 3 comes out in 2 weeks time :D

Which is a shame 'cos I'm on holiday.  So I want August 13th to get here quickly so I can play it, but I want to enjoy my time off work.

Arse..............

P.S   Yes I know about BitTorrent but I want to hold the shiny box while I install the game :D

P.P.S  I remember buying Doom II when it came out, still got the CD  :mrgreen:

RichardWhitely

Here are my opinions on doom 3

If you dont want to read them, please vacate this thread now..

still here?

you must really want to know

alright here we go then:

Doom 3 is the frickin best torch simulator I have ever seen in my life.

Who the hell designed this game? frickin Ray Charles?!

I mean come on already give me some god damn light so I can see what the frick im shooting at.

You were supposed to be able to shoot lights and and destory bits of scenery, no you cant. This game suffers from indestructable scenery (however zombies are able to bash through doors yet I cant with a huge frickin rocket launcher?!)

Sadly it does get repetative after a while

enter room, lights go out

zombie appears, shoot zombie

go to next room repeat.

There isn't even the hordes of zombies like in previous doom games. You maybe see a max of 3 at once, but thats it.

Game needs more zombies. It doesnt have enough. Need huge legions of zombies coming all at once, so you can happily sit there and mow them all down with your big guns and a chainsaw.

Kill an enemy, and they just do this comedy blood spat and then disappear. WTF is that?! Come on I want rag doll physics on dead bodies!

I'm afraid to say, Doom 3 plays more like a tech demo for the new Doom engine rather than the ground breaking game it was supposed to be.

The only thing ground breaking about it is the fact that my graphics card dont have to do much work as 99% of the time, its just rendering the colour black.

Thats the problem, its all been done to death before. The best thing to do is approach Doom 3 and think. "This is a shooter where I cant see a fucking thing 99% of the time and I shoot one or two zombies in each room".

Oh yes, you say, but your character has a torch! Yeah, but he cant hold the torch and shoot at the same time. Why didnt they just give him a helmet and tape the torch to the helmet using duct tape?

Its really annoying cos you'll see a zombie in the glare of your torch, then have to switch to a weapon and shoot blindy in the dark and hope you are hitting the zombie. With the slow moving ones, this aint a problem, but some of these doods move like linford christie on speed. So shooting them in darkness becomes a bit of a problem.

As usual another game that doesnt live up to the hype.
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

Rik_S

Do the zombies make that really cool groaning noise like in the Resident Evil games....`uuhhhhhh..uhhhhh`...just like that  :wink:  ..and go `squelch` when you shoot them.

RichardWhitely

yes, they make noises

and yes, they go squelch when they die and then just totally disappear.... quite lame if you ask me, they should hang around for a while. would be nice to see piles of dead zombies everywhere....
I play games on a:

Tricky

Dude, it's dark because "There is a terrible darkness descending upon the galaxy".

/me gives Paul a melon :wink:

BigBazza

You could fiddle with FarCry so bodies wouldn't disappear.  Shooting them and watching then twitch never got boring.  Maybe I should find a different hobby :D

So Paul, you don't want to try Deathmatch when I get the legal version? :mrgreen:

P.S Just a thought, in the video's of the game I've seen, it's dark but not as dark as you suggest. Maybe a graphics card/drivers problem?

RichardWhitely

nope, i left everything at default settings. well apart from putting it to medium quality and 1024x768 res which is what hardocp doom 3 hardware guide said to run Doom 3 at on my ATI 9800se

Its dark in game, but brighter in the videos. besides if you mess with the brightness - then its too bright in the PDA screen thingy and you cant read anything on it.
I play games on a:

Col

Graphics aside it's just plain boring :( Same old, same old.
Doom on playstation was , well still is, a better game.

/me says "Always try before you buy" ;)

RichardWhitely

*EXCLUSIVE!* Doom 3 Engine gets turned into New game from microsoft!

I play games on a:

|fury|

had a quick razz last night. dropped some screenies here. The "PC-" images are a 640x480 copy of the originals, which are at 1280x1024. I had fraps running but used the in-game screenshot key so the screenies show the fraps framerate monitor. Game detail was set as default (medium) but changed the res up to 1280.

For reference, it's an xp3200+ Barty, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP mobo, 2x 512mb OCZ Cas2 Platinum  PC3200 ram, Hercules 128mb Radeon 9800 pro running slightly tweaked.

Didn't really get as much time as i'd liked to play it last night, but it's very apparant that a _lot_ of work has been put in to this game. It hadn't struck me until last night just how similar the story lines are between the doom franchise and half-life, but  i was getting a very familiar feeling whilst playing through last night - imagine you're back playing half-life for the first time and you get a similar feeling with doom 3. It's very atmospheric.

There's a lot of stuff in there that you can miss if you're not careful - Computer screens and other people's PDAs can be accessed for extra info, plus the idea of hidden rooms is still in there

Mucking about between the flashlight and a given weapon is a bit of an arse at the moment - I've not got it nailed down to the point where i'm not frantically clubbing someone with the torch whilst searching for the right gun :D (i tend to over-use the mouse wheel for my weapon selection)

Yes the game is dark, but it's obviously there for effect, and it does work well - sometimes you can see a little bit, and sometimes you can see rod all. Problem is i guess, is that any self-respecting marine would have taped their torch to their gun :roll: so it's probably a bit daft.

Coolest bit so far? the way the monster in shot00017.jpg dies. Do not open this image if you want to enjoy the surpise when you play the game!

Quote from: Paul
Its really annoying cos you'll see a zombie in the glare of your torch, then have to switch to a weapon and shoot blindy in the dark and hope you are hitting the zombie. With the slow moving ones, this aint a problem, but some of these doods move like linford christie on speed. So shooting them in darkness becomes a bit of a problem.
I'd agree with this - I have a button set on the nostromo for the flashlight (toggles between the torch and the last weapon you were using) Not quite got the technique down yet, and as i said above, unneccessary - you'd be taping your torch to your gun if you had any sense.

I think the biggest issue with the game is going to be how quickly it's going to get like i've seen so many people describe it - i.e. a boring and repetetive trudge through x number of levels doing _exactly_ the same thing all the time.

All said and done, I don't believe d3 will redefine the genre like doom, quake and half-life all did. There is nothing new in this game other than some rather special graphics.

In the days of doom it was fine to provide linear gameplay, whereas we expect so much more these days. I guess it's something that only playing the game for longer will show, and as a result, i reckon i'm going to keep my pre-order in place and give it a good hammering when i get back from my hols in a couple of weeks :D

Tricky

I've also played a bit. I agree with most, if not all, of what Fury said. I managed to get around Paul's Stevie Wonder problem by upping the gamma - and also I have a 21" CRT rather than a TFT screen which probably helps a bit. I haven't quite got the hang of switching weapons though and often accidentally switch to fists using the mousewheel rather than using key F to switch straight back to a gun. I'm on medium quality at 1024x768 with the ATI hotfix (Catalyst 4.9) and the graphics are good. I wouldn't say that I'm blown away but maybe I was expecting too much. With the sound turned up and the lights off the game still scares me silly so I guess they did a good job there. :wink: I do like the little touches they did - I like playing with the machinery and control panels; although I don't like the PDA stuff much but I did like it when the guard tells you to stop moving during the bioscan - it just made more realistic - I hope those touches continue throughout the game. The NPC models are very good too.

I suddenly realised as I was playing last night why I wasn't enjoying it though. It's because no matter what I do I know that my actions can't influence the course of the game like they can in multiplayer games. When the marine guard tells you to double-time it to meet the commander it I know that it doesn't really matter how quickly I get there - I doubt if anything would turn out differently. You can see and hear (through the monitors and radio system) chaos going on in the other parts of the base but I know that I can't save any of my marine buddies because they'll all end up dead anyway. Ok, so I've only played the game a little. Maybe I'll get back to the Marine HQ and save a few soldiers. They'll fight alongside me, guns blazing as we hose some demons. If I get to the Marine HQ quicker and save more peeps then maybe I'll have a larger team to fight with. Or maybe not. I suppose I'll get there, they'll all be dead or taken over by demons and I'll have to complete all the levels on my own without an APC full of buddies to help out. How boring!

Fury's point about expecting more nowadays must be true - we're spoilt with online multiplayer war with real human players. Playing alone against AI monsters is so, well, last decade. Just my two cents worth - do you agree?

|fury|

The line between a truely open game, where you can do anything to anything, and one that lacks structure and direction is a thin one..  To me the only 'open' game that came close to getting the balance right was GTA 3 / Vice City - and hands up who spent most of their time pissing about instead of completing the game ;) (o/)

Doom 3 plays just like doom used to - there's a specific path  to follow through the level and it's one area of the game that shows graphics aside, how little the franchise has really changed.

BigBazza

Looking at different forums around the net (rage3d etc..) people have started to give the game a bit of a kickin'.

So until the 13th (or earlier if someone breaks the release date) I've decided not to read those posts anymore :D

/puts head in sand

That's better

P.S  Half-life 2 wil be the next biggy.  Already waiting for Steam to put Counter-Strike: Sourse Beta onto my PC.   Ooooh Dust in the Half-Life 2 engine will rule us all :D