• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Police Swoop In To Stop 'Illegal Rubber Duck Race' In The Cotswolds

Main Menu

FarCry

Started by SCoob [NL], March 26, 2004, 09:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCoob [NL]

Looks like fun, but if you see the specs you won't be laughing anymore  8O

QuoteRecommended

Supported OS: Windows 98SE/2000/XP (only)
Processor: AMD Athlon 2400-3000+ or Pentium 4 2-3 GHz
RAM: 512-1024 MB
Video Card: 128 MB GeForce 4 128 MB to GeForce FX 5950; ATI Radeon 9500-9800 XT
Sound Card: Sound BlasterÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,® AudigyÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,® series
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (included on disc)
DVD-ROM: 8x-16x DVD
Hard Drive Space: 4 GB
Multiplayer: Broadband with 64 Kbps upstream to play (512 Kbps upstream to host 8 players)
Minimum

Supported OS: WindowsÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,® 98SE/2000/XP (only)
Processor: 1 GHz
RAM: 256 MB
Video Card: 64 MB DirectXÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,® 9.0b-compatible graphics card
Sound Card: DirectXÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,® 9.0b-compatible PCI card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (included on disc)
DVD-ROM: 4x DVD
Hard Drive Space: 4 GB
Multiplayer: Broadband with 64 Kbps upstream to play (512 Kbps upstream to host 8 players)
NVIDIAÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,® nForce(tm) or other motherboards

Trivulator

Lol those specs are the same as I have in my comp and my comp is 1 1/2 years old ;-)

SCoob [NL]

My specs:
Supported OS: Windows XP Prof
Processor: AMD Athlon 2200 XP
RAM: 1500 MB
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600 XT
Sound Card: None, USB Headset

Hope it will work, only must reconsider getting a DVD drive soon.

|fury|

you can get a faster cpu for next to nothing these days - a thoroughbred 2700 is no faster than a 400mhz barton 3200 (in the real world) and is half the price

Boris

I played the FarCry demo, and it worked pretty well on my 2 year old P4 2 Ghz with 512 ram. I did of course not have all effects maxed out, but ran it pretty much with "medium" settings.

Spyke

I got FarCry this weekend and it looks great!
I'm running a P4 2.4, 512 Ram and the ATI 9100 ( 128 meg ) card.
Running it 1024x768x32 it looked wonderful.

But... and there's always a but, right at the spot where you first go to the huts, my game freezes for a few seconds, then works ok, then the same , it is quite maddening.
I got past that area and a little further along it did the same thing.

The best way to describe it is lag!! I would swear I was playing MP and it was lagging.

Now, I went into MP ( offline ) and it runs sweet!! Not one glitch or stutter.

I went into to options, then noticed that the detail settings were all at low, couldn't believe how good it looked, and messed around in there but to no avail.

The only thing I could do is make it look more pretty when it froze.  :fist:

Took a look around and found a patch 1.1 I think, along with something along the line of " as soon as you install far cry, install the patch". It's 27 Mb or something close.

Can't wait to sort this out as from the little I did play it seems really fun.

Oh yeah, the sounds are amazing!! Sometimes the first couple of shots sound different as you hear the echo...you'll know what i mean when you play it.

/me crosses fingers that it is a long game.  :twisted:

BigBazza

Play have sent me the game, but they've sent the game on CD.  Tarts

5 chuffin' disks 8O

Spyke

Quote from: BigBazzaPlay have sent me the game, but they've sent the game on CD.  Tarts

5 chuffin' disks 8O

That reminds me, it asked for Disk #3 and when I put it in good ole "Wrong Volume in Drive" error came up... it wanted me to put #1 back in. :scratch: So let's see, it goes 1,2,3, no wait..#1 errr 4, :roll:.

The install went ok, although I just left the error screen up until it was finished. Then I put #1 back in and it went away.

BigBazza

Quote from: Spyke
Quote from: BigBazzaPlay have sent me the game, but they've sent the game on CD.  Tarts

5 chuffin' disks 8O

That reminds me, it asked for Disk #3 and when I put it in good ole "Wrong Volume in Drive" error came up... it wanted me to put #1 back in. :scratch: So let's see, it goes 1,2,3, no wait..#1 errr 4, :roll:.

The install went ok, although I just left the error screen up until it was finished. Then I put #1 back in and it went away.

Weird.  I just went 1-5, then 1 back in to play it.  

Graphics are bloody lovely :D

Spyke

Darn it!!

I put the patch on last night and I still get the same problem.
It seems to come up whenever the radio comes on or there is some sort of new noise, chopper, backing up the truck etc.
Like I said it's just like lag, it freezes for a couple of secs, then runs great. Makes it near impossible to play as you just get in a grove and Bzzzzrt!

I'm running onboard sound by the way. My dad has a Sound Blaster Live MP3+ ( or something like that ) and I'm going to put that in and try it.
Does anyone think I'm going in the right direction here?

I've already reinstalled the game, ( 3 friggin' Gig/ 5 cd's )ran WinDoctor, disk defrag and rebooted numerous times. ( Note: I didn't get the "Wrong Volume in Drive" error this time :wink:)

I don't think it's a graphics problem, seems to run great when it runs, and I'm kinda scared to update the drivers as everything else seems to run fine the way it is.

Rambling I know, but when I try a MP (offline) no problems. I'm thinking it's because there is less data for it to process. :scratch:

If it wasn't such a cool game I wouldn't bother but of course it has to be a game that I REALLY want to play!! :chunter:

RichardWhitely

Aye, it seems that game is processor intensive, so yeah on board sound does put some load on the CPU, depends on your CPU and motherboard/on board sound combo though.

Try the soundblaster, it should help to lighten the load on the cpu a little...
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

Undergrid

It seems the Cat 4.3 drivers have problems with Farcry, see

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=98296d537e158a0a7f29fc604e43227b&threadid=33750246

The 4.2s seem to work from what I've read, so if your running 4.3 you might want to try downgrading.
QuoteIn the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in the proper order then why can't he?

Trivulator

Any worth buying this game as I'm not so sure I will like BF Vietnam and still waiting for my copy of UT 2004.
I have no game atm to play :(

Spyke

Yahhh friggin Hoooo!!
I finally got FarCry working. :D

I was all set to go and put a sound card in, just might still do that anyways, when I seen UG's post about the Cat 4.3 drivers.
I went with the 4.2 drivers and it works great!! I am getting some small droputs of scenery here and there but the game runs smooth as silk.
/me wonders what horse of a system you need for the very high setting?

Graphics are wicked and I'm on the low setting. I went to medium and my video card went,  :taunt:  ummmm, no!

By the way, great link there, also for anyone experiencing drivers issues or just wanting to know what Vertical Sync does, there is another link off the above page  http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33738545 that is full of information.
I also downloaded and ran the ATI Uninstaller here ---> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe

And Triv, this game rocks my furry friend. Graphics will blow you away, wicked weapons and sounds, AI is actually intelligent ( well for the most part ), real nice vechicles, one method of travel is very cool and unique.

Thanks again.  :D

powered_by_guinness

Looks pretty pants on my PIII laptop

Won't be playing this on those boring rail trips then :(