Author Topic: Gone off this game.  (Read 2312 times)

Lot

• Honorary {HamsteR}
  • Major
    • http://www.hamsterserver.com
Gone off this game.
« on: February 01, 2004, 10:00:44 PM »
Rep 5 at last. Sadly, I've become disappointed with this game now. It takes a miracle to win any of the races i.e. need your opponent to crash or be slowed down by other factors in the game.

The pace of my car and the opponents is pretty much the same. Once I'm behind, that's it - I'm stuck behind my opponent. I can follow them for lap after lap doing the same lap times and have no real chance to get ahead. It's all the same in easy/medium/hard. Needless to say, I make mistakes and at that point I may as well restart the race because I have no chance to catch up once the error is made.

So how do I rate this game? I'll give it 80/100. Would be more if the end game was more fun but sadly, its no fun at all. The build up to the end game is great but towards the end the game play is really disappointing.

rover

• Captain
Gone off this game.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 11:12:25 PM »
dude have you found an extra hard setting or something, ive done the whole thing twice and loved every race

Calibrax

• Administrator
  • Captain
Gone off this game.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 12:57:47 AM »
It is tough. I'm on level 103 and I have a 7 lap race to win... I've tried it about 50 times, and every damn time I make one simple mistake near the end of the race, and lose. It's too damn frustrating.

Steve :D :D

Lot

• Honorary {HamsteR}
  • Major
Gone off this game.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 08:02:34 AM »
Quote from: rover
dude have you found an extra hard setting or something, ive done the whole thing twice and loved every race

I think we probably have different standards, yes?

I played NFS:U for the last time this morning. Unless I stay in the lead, I have absolutely no chance of winning circuit, sprint or drag races. Make one mistake in a circuit or sprint, fall back and no matter how well I'm driving the gap to the lead stays at 5 seconds and I can't close the gap.

Sorry Rover, but the game has changed from being fun to being a chore. I commend Calibrax for trying 50 times to win a race, but I am going to give up now and delete the game from my hard drive and remember the fun it was instead of the fun it now isn't.

|fury|

• Administrator
  • Major
Gone off this game.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 08:38:14 AM »
The only truely great racing game EA ever did was the original Need For Speed (first came out on the 3DO)  Superb physics, and the opponents' AI didn't have to rely on too much double standards.

Sadly, EA are a churnmobile these days and are never going to bother putting the effort into stuff like AI when they can still make a bomb not bothering.

I'm enjoying the earlier sections of the game (am on level 48 or something) and if it becomes too hard/irritating i'll just wipe the savegame and start again :D

GT4 is out soon anyway \o/ :D

Lot

• Honorary {HamsteR}
  • Major
Gone off this game.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 09:09:06 AM »
Quote from: |fury|
GT4 is out soon anyway \o/ :D

NOW that is a game I want to play. I still have the joy of GT3 to look forward to (never did get around to buying a PS2 as yet). GT2 is so far the ultimate car racing game that I've played.

Prozac

Gone off this game.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 01:56:54 PM »
Hopefully with GT4 they bring in the damage option.  If I hit a wall, I want to see some effect whether it be a broken window or even dented doors.  Plus, if they made that mess up your driving skills.  That will keep everyone from doing 180mph straight into a wall to make a "good" turn.  I know demolition derby games are out, but if GT wants to be the best car simulation game, they might as well throw in hardcore damage.

rover

• Captain
Gone off this game.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 02:41:31 PM »
prozac the sad thing is it's all down to the car maker's if the game maker's can use damage on the car's as the like's of ford, bmw and the rest dont like ppl to see there car's smashed up.

Goatface

Gone off this game.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 02:44:07 AM »
I'm on race 94, ever since race 91 its got really hard to win. Them crashing does make all the difference.

Yes roll on GT4. But if you want crashes with bits coming off, and damn good crashes too. Then indulge in Burnout 2, Its platinum too. Great game. The cars are unoffical but you can see whom there trying to imitate.  Great high speed racing, Chasing, and even a section where you have to see if you can cause over a certain amount of $ in damage by causing pile ups. Honestly you won't regret it. My Dad doesn't even like driving games but he got well into this one. I was giving him a chance though ;-p Shame its not online compatible.