• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Brits Warned Of Seagulls Across The UK 'Tripping On Acid'

Main Menu

Ideas for a new cell phone

Started by Boris, June 08, 2003, 12:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

I'm about to buy a new cell phone and would like to get some input on what to buy. My current phone is a Nokia 8310 and I know I want color screen and polyphonic ringtunes, camera is not neccesary. Any ideas?

Cheers!

SCoob [NL]

My girlfriend has a Samsung S300.
It's small, has a color LCD on the inside and also one on the outside.
Also has poly tones on it.

Rik_S

I had a demo of one of the new 3G video phones.  Very impressive stuff, it was like a pocket size lap top.  The visuals & the sound were amazing.  They are fantastic but will remain expensive gadgets unless they catch on.

The sales guy was nearly as slick as the phone......  ÃƒÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,£399 retail but ÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,£175 today, and if you take two then it was ÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,£125 each.

Nice, one for each ear :wink:

They have just announced some very good airtime packages in the UK that beat everyone else, but they are a bit of a gimmick unless you know others with video phones.  Look like great fun though :)

I think that I`m going for a Panasonic GD87 when I upgrade in a few weeks.

Boris

I have looked for 3G phones, but it looks like there aren't any yet available in Sweden.

I forgot to add that I beside poly tones and colour screen would like to have calendar, to do list, profiles and call groups and a battery that NOT  needs to be charged every day.

Scoob, the samsung one, does it got the stuff I just added?

The best would be a Palm (or other handheld device) with integrated cell phone, is there any such things out there?

Edit: Found this. Anyone got any knowledge about it?

Undergrid

I've actually tried one of these, and it is a nice handset.  To be honest theres only a couple of niggles, the buttons are just too small for me and if you try to use it without the button flip you have to use the stylus because the touchscreen buttons are even smaller.  

Also with the button flip attached and covering the lower half of the screen (not shown in that pic), you can bring drop down menus up on the screen using the touch screen, but you cant use the touch screen to select items on the menu, you have to use the keys which is very odd.

There was also an issue with syncing, but I believe that has been sorted out in later releases of the firmware.
QuoteIn the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in the proper order then why can't he?

mrstella

Have a Motorola T720i its a lot better than the samsung which i used to have  :roll:  and it does everything that you have asked for.

Boris

Thx for yer replies m8s.

It seems like the Motorola is a decent phone, but on the Swedish price comparisation site it said that there were no WAP on it, but that it had a WAP browser. And on the Motorola site it says "WAP Browser version 1.2.1". Does that mean I can WAP with it? I personally use WAP quite alot on my 8310, mostly for checking my email but also reading news and such.

If it got WAP I'll probably buy it, altough it have been around for some months and are not brand new ;)

Edit: Found some reviews of the 720 (not 720I) and most of those complained about very low ringtunes and extremly short battery capacity. Is this something they have fixed to the 720I? Low ringtunes and no vibrator doesnt match for me :(

mrstella

Quote from: BorisThx for yer replies m8s.

It seems like the Motorola is a decent phone, but on the Swedish price comparisation site it said that there were no WAP on it, but that it had a WAP browser. And on the Motorola site it says "WAP Browser version 1.2.1". Does that mean I can WAP with it? I personally use WAP quite alot on my 8310, mostly for checking my email but also reading news and such.

If it got WAP I'll probably buy it, altough it have been around for some months and are not brand new ;)

Edit: Found some reviews of the 720 (not 720I) and most of those complained about very low ringtunes and extremly short battery capacity. Is this something they have fixed to the 720I? Low ringtunes and no vibrator doesnt match for me :(

Hi Boris

In answer to your questions, yes the phone has WAP inc support for GPRS (just connected to the orange website to test it)

When you say low ringtunes what do u mean ??? if you mean the noise it makes then you can set that to quite load, (can hear mine when im driving with the radio on quite easily), i get at least 3-4 days standby battery havent checked the talktime but gotta be about 4-5 hours (which for me is fine). Plus have had the phone 7 months now so battery is a bit dated.

It does have a vibrate option in fact 5 different vibrate options  :lol:

Regards

Peter

Dozy

Quote from: Boris

I forgot to add that I beside poly tones and colour screen would like to have calendar, to do list, profiles and call groups and a battery that NOT  needs to be charged every day.

Will you be wanting it to do phone calls too ?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Boris

Quote from: mrstellaHi Boris

In answer to your questions, yes the phone has WAP inc support for GPRS (just connected to the orange website to test it)

When you say low ringtunes what do u mean ??? if you mean the noise it makes then you can set that to quite load, (can hear mine when im driving with the radio on quite easily), i get at least 3-4 days standby battery havent checked the talktime but gotta be about 4-5 hours (which for me is fine). Plus have had the phone 7 months now so battery is a bit dated.

It does have a vibrate option in fact 5 different vibrate options  :lol:

Regards

Peter

The reviews I read said that it was hard to hear the phone when it was ringing, but I do not know how they tested it :)

Weird that my sources didn't mention vibrator, but with 5 different options I know someone who will appreciate it ;)

It seems like this could be my future phone, but I'll look it up in a store this weekend so I can check it out properly, and then decide.

Thx for yer replies m8.

Cheers!

Boris

Quote from: Dozy

Will you be wanting it to do phone calls too ?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nah, for that I can use my stationary home phone  :D

icky

if anyone want the ringtone converter let me know ill put it on my site and then ill put serial in so its not a trial it saves paying 1.50 a minute all you have to do is type it into phone

Calibrax

I recently upgraded my phone to a Nokia 7210... it has polyphonic ringtones, colour screen, WAP, GPRS, etc... and a stereo FM radio too which is damn good! It also has a built in speaker and handsfree which works remarkably well, totally wireless. Had it for about 2 weeks now, and I can't fault it.

Click here for more info on it.

Steve  :D  :D

Deuce

Quote from: CalibraxI recently upgraded my phone to a Nokia 7210... it has polyphonic ringtones, colour screen, WAP, GPRS, etc... and a stereo FM radio too which is damn good! It also has a built in speaker and handsfree which works remarkably well, totally wireless. Had it for about 2 weeks now, and I can't fault it.

Click here for more info on it.

Steve  :D  :D

Apart from the overly small keys, poor battery life when listening to the radio.

Orange care is good because they sent me 6 so far cause of poor signal reception, compared to my trusty 6110, god knows how many years old and STILL working !! (NO, they don't make em like they used too) :twisted:

Good job Nokia didn't go to the moon with Armstrong, cause all of the displays would have faded !!! :(

Any way NOBODY really needs a mobile phone anyway  :D  :D