• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Angry Seagull Forces Cornwall Tesco To Close After Taking Over Pet Food Aisle.

Main Menu

Norton Internet Security

Started by Creeping Death, May 13, 2002, 08:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creeping Death

Hi Peeps,

I wondered if any of you out there could give me some advice. I'm fairly new to this home PC lark! and in many ways still trying to find my way around. Although this has taken a back seat since  I found the Hamster servers and can't stop playing against you lot.

Well, to the point, bought my Pc at xmas with Norton anti virus installed, free until June 2002. All working fine and no crashes on XP.

Subscription to anti v about to run out. I thought i would upgrade to Norton Security as it has a firewall as well.

Should I do this? is it worth it? is it any good? I hear it is very user friendly?.

i have experimented with Zone Alarm, but couldn't get on with it, afraid i just didnt understand what (and why) it was trying to block.

If you say yep to Norton Security, being user friendly and all, do I D/L the upgrade or buy the package, NB i am new to the game of home PC, although I have used PC's for years at work.

Will the package have a manual etc.

And lastly will what i buy (if package) overight the exisiting Norton Anti Virus 2002 programme.

Sorry if all this has made you laugh and use terms like 'pleb' but i m serious about asking for your advice. You gotta start somewhere!!!

Thanks again to you for any info/advice.

Regards.  :D  :D  :D

Chris ( Mr Death) :twisted:

DubWhiZZ

CD,
aren't you still running on 56k modem.

If so, then you will most probably be running a Dynamic IP address. This means every time you connect to the net you are assigned a different IP address. The concensus of opinion is that 56k ers on Dynamic IP dont need a firewall. Check with your ISP.

As for the Virus software, go for your life. View your time in terms of the money it is worth. It can take me a full day to rebuild my PC from scratch, and thats assuming I've got all the exes safe. A serious virus can destroy your whole file system. So it is a MUST to run AV software at all times.

As for manuals, sure there should be one. You might be looking at a Net download upgrade tho, so be sure to download the manual in pdf format. And at worst, there are hundreds of sights detailing how to use AV Software.

HTH, any questions, just reply!

Dub

Creeping Death

Cheers Dub.

Yep i am on 56K but seriously thinking of going ASDL next year when the prices come down a little.

So from what you r saying, if i just subscribe to the Aniti Virus, I should worry about a firewall when i get ASDL?

Thanks for your advice.

Chris

adslrizla

Quote from: Creeping Death

So from what you r saying, if i just subscribe to the Aniti Virus, I should worry about a firewall when i get ASDL?

Depends how paranoid you are. I actually got "hacked" when I was on 56k. This happened years ago and I take the view that a firewall is a must.

If you want something simple then go for Black Ice - backed up with AV software it's pretty much bombproof now. m0rpheen uses it without any problems (he had a couple at the start, but they were easily sorted).

bookey

Quote from: DubWhiZZ

If so, then you will most probably be running a Dynamic IP address. This means every time you connect to the net you are assigned a different IP address. The concensus of opinion is that 56k ers on Dynamic IP dont need a firewall. Check with your ISP.

Dub

/me needs firewall, even thow I only on 56k
Only time I turn it off is when the computer is off (Never  :lol: )

DubWhiZZ

If you leave the PC on the net constantly then get a firewall, otherwise spend the pennies on GTA3 when it comes out!

Dub

Col

If you have XP you could always use the firewall that comes with it.
Also the June edition of Computer Buyer has a few relevant programs on its cover cd

Creeping Death

Thanks Col. Haven't yet enabled the firewall on XP, been told its crap, any views.

Still dont really know what to do for the best, a lot of conflicting views around.

Will check out the mag Col

Mr Death
:twisted:

Col

Re: XP firewall

Being a newbie to PCs I wouldn't mind any views on usefulness of the built in XP firewall either.

|fury|

personally i wouldn't trust a security product from microsoft one little bit.

There are plenty of other firewall solutions out there for windows.

from what i can remember, tiny personal firewall was the one to use, although i believe most of the team jumped ship and started kerio

i use a linux iptables firewall, altho i appreciate this isn't a practical solution for everybody..

S0L0man

I have two machines, one runs Zonealarm, the other Norton Security. I like Zonealarms simplicity but It can be a bit ackward to use as, unless you use the pro version you cannot add applications manually but rely on a prompt box that sometimes does not appear, at least on my box. :?
Norton requires a little bit more thought to use but can be configured manually. I hear good things about Tiny/Kerio but do not use them myself. I had heard that blackice was one of the weaker apps, perhaps new versions have improved it.
As most of these apps have freebie versions for home use, I would suggest trying each and see what you think.

anguillle

take a look at this page                                                                                                            http://www.evidence-eliminator.com/d2w/intro/server.d2w?g=10220655162638

Mags

Methinks that evidence-eliminator link is nothing more than scare mongering unless of course you have something to hide  :oops:  .
I have used both Norton and Kerio and both are good .
You have to pay for Norton but it has extra features like blocking java and active x and if you have kids you can block undesirable web sites .