• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Salford Man Distraught After Passport Photo Makes Him Look Like Hitler

Main Menu

Today's moan

Started by JohnnyFind, October 07, 2002, 05:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveQuafferAngel

As I see it people are allowed to choose and host their own aviator (sic.) and the rules on the size of this are very relaxed, other than the overall dimensions, and this really should serve the same purpose as an image in a sig.  I agree with the previous poster images in sigs break up the flow.

Scoob, consider yourself blamed :D

SCoob [NL]

Quote from: TrickyI came to the conclusion that the amount of perceived intrusion depends upon the type of thread. Sigs will probably be unobtrusive in a chatty thread but very annoying in a thread like a Match signup where you want to quickly see who is interested in playing. If this is technically possible (and it would probably require some work) maybe sigs should be removed (using code) in certain forums (e.g. Hamster news, Hamster 1 subs?) but left to remain in others (free chat, Lobby, ROW public forum?). That would be a good compromise if it worked.

I've seen this before with the clan I was in with Deltaforce.
It works good, afterall, we know the sigs from the members already

|fury|

i seem to remember we used to use them long ago (i remember LOT having a gun or something in a sig image) but we decided it was easier to read everything without one.

personally, i don't care for them - they can end up dominating the thread.
don't forget: content is god  8)

2toes

I dont like sigs, there bad for you!

Make your breath smell and cost to much...

He he,,,,,, 2toes "lightening up the load"

Calibrax

Quote from: Tricky
Quotesigs are standard on forums across the web
I'm sorry but that isn't true. They are allowed on some forums and banned on others. It depends on the forum.
They ARE standard, in so as far as the feature available as standard with most of the forums out there. Some forums may not use the feature, but that's their choice. I couldn't care either way to be honest... the content of the forum is much more important. And we have one of the best in that regard (well, except for the constant spamming every time we reach a post count ending in 00.... :D )

Quote from: Tricky
Quotebut everyone has the right to express themselves with a sig if they want.
That isn't true either. Everyone is allowed to use the forums within the rules. If the rules of the forums were to change so that sigs weren't allowed then that is that. I don't recall sigs being mentioned in the Human Rights Act.  :wink:
Human rights?? naah, this is about {HamsteR} rights, surely!!  :wink: Everyone DOES have the right to express themselves with a sig... sigs are allowed at the moment, and even if they weren't then people STILL have the right to express themselves with a sig... just not on www.hamsterserver.com!  :D

Anyway, sigs are bad for your health... I heard someone say the other day that sigs cause lung cancer...  :wink:  :lol:

Steve  :D  :D

Tricky

QuoteThey ARE standard, in so as far as the feature available as standard with most of the forums out there. Some forums may not use the feature, but that's their choice.
Well I think that a bit like calling a sun roof on a car standard just because a lot of cars have them.  A lot of cars have them as standard but I wouldn't say that it's a standard feature for the generic car - not like wheels, etc. Still, I see where you are coming from, and like you say, it's the content that's important and in this case the question of whether the sigs are detracting from the content or not.

Quote(well, except for the constant spamming every time we reach a post count ending in 00....  )
Er, well the admins started that when we were approaching 100 posts so you can blame us. In fact, blame Spikey 'cos he probably started it  :wink: .

QuoteEveryone DOES have the right to express themselves with a sig... sigs are allowed at the moment
OK, so your definition of 'right' is different to mine. I would say that a right is something that is enshrined in either law, or the rules and regulations of a governing body - and I tend to think of rights as something pretty important rather than minor side issues. E.g. the right to have an opinion - major issue. The right to have a sig - minor issue. Even if it was explicitly written in Hamsterserver rules that sigs were allowed, I would still hold the opinion that it is something that is allowed rather than a 'right'.

As a side note here - the reason I am banging on about this is firstly because you seem to like a good debate and I do too so that's great! But secondly, we have had a few members of the public come here in the past who bluntly demand things from us (e.g. access to maps, access to the servers etc). They act as though they have a right to these services. Of course they don't have the right to do so, but we do allow the public to play on our servers and use our facilities. If we want to stop certain people playing then we can (within Barrysworld T&C's). If they had a right to it then we couldn't do that. That is how I see the distinction.

QuoteAnyway, sigs are bad for your health... I heard someone say the other day that sigs cause lung cancer...
I heard that sigs are addictive, make you spend your whole life on them, and make you spend all your money on them. Or is that online games? Or maybe the wife...  :D

RichardWhitely

QuoteEr, well the admins started that when we were approaching 100 posts so you can blame us. In fact, blame Spikey 'cos he probably started it  

Ahum - you can blame skid for starting that  :wink:
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

Calibrax

Quote from: TrickyOK, so your definition of 'right' is different to mine. I would say that a right is something that is enshrined in either law, or the rules and regulations of a governing body - and I tend to think of rights as something pretty important rather than minor side issues. - snip-
Yeah, I see where you're coming from, it makes good sense... defining it like that just never occurred to me. I was seeing it more in black & white, I guess.  :black:

Quote from: TrickyAs a side note here - the reason I am banging on about this is firstly because you seem to like a good debate and I do too so that's great!
Debate is great... I love it. Makes for good forum reading too!  8)

Quote from: TrickyI heard that sigs are addictive, make you spend your whole life on them, and make you spend all your money on them. Or is that online games? Or maybe the wife...  :D
It's definitely online games. They are the main reason I upgraded my PC from a lowly (but heavily upgraded) P233 to a P4 2GHz at the start of the year. ÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,£1400 well spent, I think!  8O

Steve  :D  :D