• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Woman Leaves Dog In Car, Dog Crashes Car Into Supermarket

Main Menu

Wires Only Install ??

Started by mrstella, July 29, 2002, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrstella

Can u guys check out

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=nildram&Number=363548&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&vc=1

And let me know if the way i have described it will work etc etc. Getting Nildram to answer is like trying to get blood from a stone.

|fury|

there are 2 types of 'microfilter'

1: microfilter - comes with 1 male and 1 female connector. this sort filters out the hi-frequency adsl signal, and is what you use inbetween your telephone and your adsl-enabled line. Plugging your router into one of these isn't going to get you very far, as the signal you're looking for has been filtered out.

2: splitter - 1 male and 2 female connectors. This splits the signal into a phone and an adsl signal so you can plug yer phone and router in the same port. Looks nice but isn't mandatory.

*A router can live plugged straight into the phone line - it's happy enough receiving the lower frequency voice signal.

*A telephone gets a bit upset if you send it the adsl signal as well as the voice signal - hence the microfilter

As far as extensions go - yes any normal phone extension cable will do, just make sure you get one with the right connectors on it - my adsl splitter has a small us-style plug (rj-11?) as does my router so a standard us-style to bt plug wasn't any good.

Bear in mind that you don't need 1 microfilter for each phone - you just need to make sure each phone is behind a microfilter, so you could plug a microfilter into the wall, an extension into that then run x phones via phone plug splitters (not adsl splitters) I have a phone, sky box and a back-up 56k modem all plugged into the phone side of my adsl splitter.

mrstella

Quote from: jonathanHoddthere are 2 types of 'microfilter'

1: microfilter - comes with 1 male and 1 female connector. this sort filters out the hi-frequency adsl signal, and is what you use inbetween your telephone and your adsl-enabled line. Plugging your router into one of these isn't going to get you very far, as the signal you're looking for has been filtered out.

2: splitter - 1 male and 2 female connectors. This splits the signal into a phone and an adsl signal so you can plug yer phone and router in the same port. Looks nice but isn't mandatory.

*A router can live plugged straight into the phone line - it's happy enough receiving the lower frequency voice signal.

*A telephone gets a bit upset if you send it the adsl signal as well as the voice signal - hence the microfilter

As far as extensions go - yes any normal phone extension cable will do, just make sure you get one with the right connectors on it - my adsl splitter has a small us-style plug (rj-11?) as does my router so a standard us-style to bt plug wasn't any good.

Bear in mind that you don't need 1 microfilter for each phone - you just need to make sure each phone is behind a microfilter, so you could plug a microfilter into the wall, an extension into that then run x phones via phone plug splitters (not adsl splitters) I have a phone, sky box and a back-up 56k modem all plugged into the phone side of my adsl splitter.

Ok so by plugging the phone in downstairs via the MF and the router direct into the extension socket it should work fine.

|fury|

yep.

is far as i see it, this is what you'd do:

BT Socket
  |
normal bt telephone splitter
   |               |
extension      microfilter
   |               |
   |             phone
   |
router

mrstella

Quote from: jonathanHoddyep.

is far as i see it, this is what you'd do:

BT Socket
  |
normal bt telephone splitter
   |               |
extension      microfilter
   |               |
   |             phone
   |
router

Sweet nice and easy then, role on Monday, still havent heard anything from Nilly though damn lazy monkeys  :D