• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Man Driving Giant Foot Leaves London Very, Very Confused

Main Menu

Pauls first 15 minutes in Warhammer

Started by RichardWhitely, September 08, 2008, 08:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardWhitely

So, after all the faffery. I now have Warhammer Online patched and ready to goooooooooooooooooooo!

Logged into the game and straight into character creation

The races you can have at the start are:

Order:

High Elf, which has the classes: White Lion (Melee Damage class), Shadow Warrior (Ranged Damage), Swordmaster (Tank), Archmage (Healer)

Human dudes: Witch Hunter (Melee DPS), Bright Wizard (Ranged DPS), Warrior Priest (Healer)

Shortarses... *cough* Dwarves: Rune Priest (Healer), Ironbreaker (Tank), Engineer (Ranged DPS)

Destruction:

Dark Elves: Witch Elf (Melee DPS), Sorceress (Ranged DPS), Disciple of Khaine (Healer)

Chaos: Chosen (Tank), Marauder (Melee DPS), Zealot (Healer), Magus (Ranged DPS)

Greenskins! \o/: Squig Herder (Ranged DPS), Black Orc (Tank), Shaman (Healer - WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!)

---

So down to business, I chose a Human Male Warrior Priest and named him JamieOliver

Jamie in action, lookin good!

Logging into the game this is the first thing I see. Quite a few people running around and the place looks pretty busy (well in that pic you can only see one player - but anyway, trust me, there are lots of people running around).

Time to get my first quest and its to kill 3 marauders. Wheee!

While running around the starting area seeing if there was more quests, I bumped into this dude. Thats pretty cool, an instanced type quest right from the word go. As this is only a first 15 minute review I didnt have enough time to do this, but will have a go at it later.

Found another quest and its to pick up some book in a tavern. Well that thing in front of me looks taverny enough. So that might be it. And it is \o/. So up to the second floor and we find the book. Then I got lost trying to find the dude to hand the quest into.

Is he out here?. No, turns out he was in the tavern, doh.

So back in, handed in the quest.

Now, onto hitting stuff in the face with my mace!

HITTING STUFF IN THE FACE WITH MY MACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*cough*

Might use that as a warcry actually...

Yes, where was I... oh yes

CHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGE! FOR TEH EMPORERERERERERERERER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait, wrong warhammer....

Thwack!

kapow!

Biff!

Errr, thowosh?!

Feel free to photoshop in batman style biff, kapow, thwack things. I can't be arsed...

With all the Mauraders dead, I proceed to free villagers (picked up this quest from some dude that was standing up the road a bit from all the mauraders. Why the lazy [censored]er cant go and do free them himself, I dont know. Hes many levels above all these level 1 mauraders the big jessie...)

Jamie Oliver freeing some villagers, lovely jubbly

Go back, hand in and I ding Rank 2, huzzah!

One final thing, in this pic. You can see Warhammers territory control system. Just like in Wow and many other MMO's, kill opposing players and complete battlefield objectives and stuff so your side can gain control of an area (however I guess the starting zone is immune from this, but who knows, I don't. Need to read a bloody manual, but dont have one cos my copy of warhammer is a digital download).

I'm on a core ruleset server. So PVP is only enabled in certain battlefield areas. Which is nice (in fact all servers in open beta are core ruleset servers). True PVP anywhere servers wont get switched on until the game launches properly on 18th September as far as I know.

Anyway, thats my first 15 minutes in Warhammer. Hope you enjoyed it. It's not too bad so far. Interface is a bit clunky, but theres no lag and I can run the game at full fps even with all the graphical detail shoved up at full :D.

Shame about the [censored]witted management at GOA, but mythic have a decent game here. Looking forward to getting a few more ranks and trying out some of the other stuff the game has to offer like the Realm Vs Realm battlegrounds, the instances (or scenario's as they are called in this game) and of course HITTING STUFF IN THE FACE WITH MY MACE!.

:meuh:
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

RichardWhitely

Here is the "Too Long, Didnt read" version of my review

It's like World of Warcraft with a few tweaks here and there and more world PVP
I play games on a:
ZX Spectrum 48K | Grundig C410 cassette recorder (adjustable head) | 20BT TV Philips Multistandard Color V37cm | ZX Interface 2 | New Kempston Compatible Competition Pro Switched Joystick | Sinclair BASIC OS

RichardWhitely

Also, in this article http://www.massively.com/2008/09/09/a-world-of-warcraft-players-guide-to-warhammer-online/ - it discusses the similarities between World of Warcraft and Warhammer in a bit more detail. It also shows you where Warhammer veers off and does its own thing :D (although it doesnt do that often).
I play games on a:

Vyano_Xiaah

Hellllo fellow hamsters! Long time no see :P Just popping in to say I have WhO and I'm loving it! Some of my friends started on the Destro side, not Order. I love the open RVR areas in the middles of everything and the public quests- they're good fun. The graphics of the spells are nice from Sorceresses and the Zealots have some immense healing spells. The scenarios are pretty good fun. My zealot is now rank 9, mount in 11 ranks- woo!

P.S- what servers are you guys playing on?

Arathrael

Hey Vyano! We're on Order on Karag Orrud, and Destruction on Karag Dron.
Cave Cricetum! :hammering:

Vyano_Xiaah

Which server are you playing on the most? Will have to start a character there too  :)

Arathrael

So far we've mainly been on the side of Order on Orrud, but I think we're starting some dark elves on Dron tonight.

Don't know which one I'll be playing on most in the long term yet... :)
Cave Cricetum! :hammering:

RichardWhitely

Dunno which one I will be playing the most of either, WoW will still take up most of my time I expect.
I play games on a:

Vyano_Xiaah

Aye I know that feeling! I'm still running the LoKi guild and it's getting a bit hectic starting 25 man raids again  -.- Couldn't quit the game. WAR deffo won't be taking over ;)