• Welcome to hamsterserver.com :: demented rodent gaming.

News:

Angry Seagull Forces Cornwall Tesco To Close After Taking Over Pet Food Aisle.

Main Menu

Battlefield 1943

Started by Calibrax, July 20, 2009, 08:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calibrax

Anyone playing this on Xbox 360? It's fantastic!  :badger:

Arathrael

Tried it. Meh.

It's Battlefield. Only played with an xbox controller. So not as good.
Cave Cricetum! :hammering:

Arathrael

I think I was a bit harsh really, thinking about it.

But the problem is, it's Wake Island. On xbox live. So with hordes of random smacktards. There's always a good chance it'll go down like this:

One side has two (or more) people flying planes who are really good at it. They probably do nothing but fly planes on Wake Island all day long.

The other side has a bunch of smacktards who are completely useless at flying planes, but will do nothing but attempt to get into them. On the rare occasion they actually manage to get into one before it's blown up, they promptly crash or get shot down. Then they respawn and try again. And again. And again. For the entire round.

Which means flying a plane yourself isn't really an option. And using vehicles isn't an option, because you usually get bombed into pieces up by the other side's planes within seconds of getting in them.

Which leaves running around on foot (using an xbox controller, bleh). The other side is, of course, using vehicles because they don't have planes blowing them up because they're not on the side with all the plane-tards.

So it's you, on foot, outnumbered, against people using planes and tanks.

On the plus side the destructible environments are nice. On the minus side, that just means the tanks can blow up the shack you were trying to hide in.

That's pretty much how it went down when I was playing the demo. I did cap a couple of flags and shoot a few enemy infantry, but it was all a bit futile really.

It'd probably be alright with decent players on both sides... but it's xbox live. The smacktard to decent player ratio does not give favourable odds.
Cave Cricetum! :hammering:

Calibrax

Well, you'll always get some smacktards in any online game. Personally I enjoy shooting the planes down!

I think the demo is only Wake Island, but in the full game you also get Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. Plus, there's a map called Coral Sea for a new game mode called Air Superiority... where EVERYONE gets a plane! It's well worth the purchase, IMO. I find it just as much fun as COD4.

As for the controls... I never thought I could adapt to playing FPS games on a console... but I stuck with it in COD4, and now I think I'm almost as good with the 360 controller as I was with mouse & keyboard. Just took some practice. I also find it nice to be able to sit in a comfy chair and play on a big TV screen, rather than sitting at a desk!

|fury|

Quote from: Calibrax on July 26, 2009, 11:16:42 PM
Well, you'll always get some smacktards in any online game.

"oh bugger"

BigBazza

I think the PC version is out next month. 'Tis a tenner.....